Friday, March 11, 2011

Looking for Relaxation in All the Right Places

I had been burning my candle at both ends for several weeks and ended up not feeling well so I was SO excited to get to spend the day last Saturday with a good friend enjoying one of my favorite pastimes - junking! I can't think of a better way to relax than just visiting and snacking and treasure hunting.
We stopped first an an estate sale but I didn't find much there. Most of my loot came from a thrift store called Deseret. It has been around for a long time but I never stopped in until recently. My friend had never been there so it was brand new for her.
This is just a wonderful store. I can't believe it took me so long to discover it and oh, my, I can imagine all the things I have missed out on. It is marvelous to shop in this store. They keep everything neat and clean and it feels almost like shopping in a department store except the prices are FAR below what Goodwill charges. And their bags are even cute for crying out loud.
Plus they "get it" and put their Christmas and other holiday goods out year-around.
Right around the corner from Deseret there is a practically new Salvation Army store. A "Super Store" they call it. It occupies the footprint of the defunct Linens and Things so it is very large and modern. I am not particularly fond of the way they sort things. The have a special section at the front where they put the items they deem to be vintage or collectible. And then they wait for what I think will be a very long time. Now I think those old tall black typewriters are neat and I wouldn't mind owning one if I could think where to put it but $500?? Get real. I think they are going to wiping the dust off that until the cows come home. Not to totally diss the Salvation Super Store, I have to tell you the very best part. Right smack in the middle they have a little bistro. It is clean and adorable and sells fancy coffee and juice and fresh sandwiches and the like. A thrift store where you can go out for lunch. No kidding! If they served cocktails it would be perfect and they might have a better chance selling that $500 typewriter!
More jewelry boxes - I know, I know. At some point I'm going to have to think of what to store in them so they can earn their keep for the space they are taking up. The roses in this picture are really interesting. They seem to be made from petal shaped shavings of wood.
On Sunday I headed out on my own to the old, reliable VofA. They rarely disappoint!
That glass apothecary jar is not vintage, it has a sticker on the bottom from Bath and Body Works and says hand wash, not dishwasher safe. Huh? How could a glass jar not be dishwasher safe. Don't get that.
So others can have their spa days but I'll take a weekend of junking R&R to get MY mojo back in order!

2 comments:

Annette said...

When we get done having coffee at my house, we'll go back to yours! I'm glad you're feeling better!

My Vintage Mending said...

Too true. I could care less about a salon. Give me dust, clutter and dime store prices any day. I will take the junk please. Great finds. I scored one of those typewriters way back before it was trendy on a day when it was senior day. I had my dad with me. I paid $4 for it. It is a gem. I put an old piece of typewriter paper in it sometimes with a story half written on it. Have a great weekend...relaxing...Renee