Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Fun With Tin Cans

In my last post I mentioned I have been playing around with something in the art room. I struggled with putting them out in the world since that lets my weird sense of humor out of the closet but my friend, Carol, reminded me that everybody already knows I'm weird so [big gulp] here goes. Click the photo larger for a closer look.
These are all made from salvaged Altoids tins that I patinaed then Mod Podged with photocopies of old photos. Using original photos would be cool but they need to be sized to fit the lid. I did use distressing ink to give them a little age and might try color copying next time to capture the original patina.
I made the captions using text boxes in Word making the text white and the fill black. I was going for the look of old-school photo albums with black pages and handwritten captions in white pencil.
The inside of the lids are covered in black scrapbook paper with white dots and the inside bottom is covered with black felt. I like the look of the patina so I left the sides and bottoms plain.
I had a LOT of fun making these so now I'm on the hunt for more tins. The Altoids company started embossing the tops so the newer ones don't lent themselves to altering. I cannot think WHY they thought that was a good idea. Sheesh!

9 comments:

Annette said...

I really did lol when I saw the morning person one...that is so me!!!! I LOVE these, Kathy! I love the photos and your captions are perfect on each one! Good luck finding more tins. Shame on Altoids for changing their tops!

barbara said...

Too funny! They're great. I like the "too good looking" guy.

Into Vintage said...

Love. These. And weird always seems more interesting to me than not. :-) 'Daydream believer' makes me think of The Monkees.

Diane said...

Kathy--these are great--and the captions you put with them are the perfect touch!

My Vintage Mending said...

Kathy...I missed a lot being gone. Those cards in the pack are beautiful. I have always loved tins. I did an altered abc album for my daughter when she was little with one. The idea of using them for little hands worked great. Of course my memory of the tins is with sucrets not altoids...age! Renee

oldgreymare said...

Wonderful! Weird is Wonderful : D

xx
z

Cheryl ~ ZanyMayd said...

Hi Kathy ~ Love the tins, I would have Never guessed they were Altoid - Hey, can you hammer the embossed areas flat on the new ones? that would give then the Dings & Dents of being Old... Glad to be back!
Cheryl

Unknown said...

Wonderful idea and they turned out great....love them. I have seen the same type tins at Michaels new....weren't that expensive...under $2.00, so if you can't find any Altoids you might try there....was reading back through a couple of your posts and saw you were a great Janis Joplin fan.....I'm pretty sure I'm right there with you.......love, LOVE, love her...sing her songs everyday....lol
xojana

cathy said...

Hi Kathy - Love these tins and the sayings. I have been adding comical/sarcastic sayings to my cards and people love them. I am finally getting caught up on my blog reading after being away for a month of travel. I enjoyed all of your posts and all the goodies you have been buying. and I think I have a lot of junk....I mean treasures! Cheers from Brussels - Cathy