Thursday, September 24, 2015

The Beat Goes On...

Some recent finds to satisfy my junk-tooth.  If you click this bigger I'm sure you will wonder why in the world I bought that pile of very old and very filthy laces in the lower left of the picture.  Or maybe you won't.
This was the attraction in the bag.  A long-ago crafter fashioned a crochet corsage.  I just have to press and deconstruct so I can figure out what she was up to.  For a hat maybe??
Yes, the pincushion rocker is wearing a vintage plastic lampshade on her head.  Clearly a party girl!  I am pretty sure I have a little lamp up in the attic that it will fit.  I adore the cutting board and the tin.  The tiny mirror next to it says handmade in Italy on the back.
The pattern in the back is for Barbies.  Oh! I mean 11" fashion dolls.  Excuse me copyright police. I don't often run across old rolling pins.  They bring back fond memories of my "earth mother" period when I baked bread and put up the produce from the garden and rolled out countless pie crusts.  Maybe I will learn to like cooking again after I retire.  I'm sure The Husband would be down with it!
I have now proven, without a doubt, that you can have too many Scrabble tiles.  They aren't even popular for crafting anymore but I still feel compelled to scratch them out of the bottom of a filthy bin. My jar is completely full already so these will be heading to Etsy, pronto, and hopefully someone still has a use for them.  I adore the old Composition Book.
Every page is covered, front to back, with handwritten recipes.  They are not written out like we do today with a list of ingredients followed by instruction.  Each one is just a narrative of how to make something.
Bits and pieces in a beautiful old Fire King dish with it's gold edge still intact. The fabric on the right is a stack of hearts someone cut out and never finished the project.
When I find things like this at The Bins it makes my heart heavy. I can only hope Bettie didn't get them in the mail. 8+(

I think this wire thing is pretty neat but I have no clue what it is.  There is no bottom in the basket and it doesn't look like it ever had one.  Anyone?  Any ideas?
One last picture.  We are Seahawks fans around here and this is a souvenir postcard of the old Seattle Kingdome.  Go Seahawks!!

10 comments:

Melissa said...

Lots of wonderful finds, Kathy! You're so lucky your bins still have some wonderful goodies to offer.

oldgreymareprimitives said...

We balance the world you and I . I want everything to leave my house and you take so much in..the world is fine lol

Unknown said...

Could the wire basket thing be part of a fishing trap of some sort?

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Love those dog tags.

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I love "Satisfying your junk tooth lol" Great finds, the Barbie patterns and composition book are my favorites. I love the basket too, but I have no idea what it would be for without a bottom?

Carol

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

You found another load of sweet treasures. Love the wire baskets and the composition book. No clue about what that basket was, but it sure is interesting with those bead thingies.

Laurie said...

I think the wire thing could be a luminary...or whatever you call things you set over a large candle. I love the crocheted flower and the composition book was a real find! They are so fun to look through!

the author said...

That wire basket might be a fruit or egg gathering basket missing the bottom. My gran had one she gave us when we went to pick mangoes that looked like that. It had a piece of chicken wire across the bottom, if I remember right.

Now here's a pic for you -- remember those pretty patchwork squares I bought from Strange Notions back in the spring? They're now a finished quilt: ttp://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh289/LynnViehl/2015%20PBW/Skyes%20tropical%20quilt_zpsmqq2dwaz.jpg

the author said...

Oops, sorry, that link should be:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh289/LynnViehl/2015%20PBW/Skyes%20tropical%20quilt_zpsmqq2dwaz.jpg

Junque Seeker said...

It's always fascinating to see what you find. I would have grabbed that dirty lace in a heartbeat!