Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Rest Of The Story - Hang On

 This is the project I teased about in my last post - covered hangers.  I have such an accumulation of vintage linens that resisted my chemical assault or were just broken beyond repair that I finally decided I needed to destash by doing something with some of them.  These are the front sides.  At least they are if you happen to be right-handed like me.
 I decorated the back sides, too, just in case my right hand is tired and I decide to use my left hand.  I don't do that very often.  My left hand isn't very smart.
 Even though they are called "cutters" when they are this condition, I still have a hard time actually cutting them up.  Recent posts and comments from Laurie and Renee convinced me I needed to get past that in order to give them a new life.  I am glad I did.  Each one became a fabric collage of bits and pieces harvested from different pieces.
 The picture swatches are vintage postcards I used my printer to copy onto fabric.  This is something I love to do.  They are printed on the printer fabric that is made especially for that purpose.  I happened to score of huge stack of packages at the thrift a while back.  The words printed on pink are made by ironing the fabric onto the shiny side of freezer paper and running it through the printer.  I actually prefer that method because the fabric is easier to peel off the backing.
I haven't submitted anything in a while so I think I will send these off to SEW Somerset.  Check back in a year or so - LOL!
I am linking up with Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home today.  Thanks to Cindy for hosting.  There are always a huge number of participants so be sure to check it out for some inspiration.

10 comments:

Tracy said...

Beautiful! What a great way to use your pretty scraps.

Annette said...

Wow, I knew I would love it! They are beautiful and I'm so proud of you for cutting into the linens!

Barbara said...

Kathy, these are really great! (and on another subject entirely, what is up with blogger? I can't leave a comment, only a reply, which is pretty weird - having this issue on other blogs, too.)

Barbara said...

part 2 of my comment - once i leave a reply, then the comment box appears. sigh.

My Vintage Mending said...

Oh this is too good. I love this. Well done. Crafting genius. Repurposed...beauty...art. Keep cutting. It is addictive...smiles...Renee

Diane said...

Perfect!! And it just shows you--save the scraps--I know they tend to build up, but when you get rid of them--that's when you find that perfect project for them.
These are wonderful!

Andy's Attic said...

Kathy, those are wonderful!! What a great use for scraps and cutters. Will you be selling some? They would make great gifts.
Annette

mercedes scott said...

Kathy - these are lovely! Do submit for publishing... they definitely deserve to be shared :) Many thanks for stopping by my blog and for your comments.

Laurie said...

Those are awesome, Kathy! It is so smart to do several at once! Aren't you glad you took a deep breath and cut? (I know -- it's hard!)

cathy @ ma vie trouvee said...

What a great idea - these are lovely! You should definitely submit to SS!