Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A Velveteen Woman

I'm tired tonight so I've just been goofing around in the art room and finished up this piece that has been partially done for months.  I love this photo.  It is poet Leonie Adams and it was taken by Hans Namuth.  I ran across it in a 1960 copy of Horizon magazine.  The first thing that popped in my head was she looked like a velveteen woman.  You all know the story of the velveteen rabbit, so shabby from love that it became real.  She looks real that way.
It's pretty hard to read the quote at the top.  It says "it takes courage to grow up and become who you really are", by ee cummings. 
This will hang in my art room to remind me of all these things.

4 comments:

Annette said...

Everything about this is beautiful from the colors to the composition to the quote to your thoughts. You do good work! :)

Diane said...

Love this--the whole composition and my favorite part is the quote--a lovely addition for your art room.

Andy's Attic said...

This is a wonderful piece!! What a great idea...I love the Velveteen Rabbit story and you turned it into such a lovely work of art.
Annette

Laurie said...

This is a really sweet piece of art! ee cummings was very wise.