Monday, May 9, 2011

Springtime Treat - Heavenly Lilacs

Despite our soggy Spring, the old, reliable lilacs are unfurling their blossoms and filling the air with their heady fragrance. I took this picture on the front porch for the natural light but within 5 minutes of carrying them back inside the whole house was perfumed.
The pale ones are old fashioned lilacs and they are the fragrant ones. The darker ones are a variety named Frank Klager. Hulda Klager was a well known lilac breeder and she named this one after her husband. We bought it while visiting her historic gardens about 25 years ago. They are not fragrant but the deep purple color is stunning against a blue sky.
The lilac blooms don't last long but they are one of my favorite Spring treats.

4 comments:

laurie -magpie ethel said...

I just went and picked lilacs yesterda! Tom has an aunt who has three very old lilac trees that always have the most wonderful blooms. I cut two huge bouquets (one for my mom for mother' day). They are one of my favorite spring flowers too (sweet peas are a close second). They are about a month late this year...blame it on the rain.

Cheryl ~ ZanyMayd said...

Be Still My Heart ~ My Favorite Flower.... I think I'm several days until I can cut a Bouquet.... Thanks for Sharing, just wish I could smell their Sweet Fragrance!

Annette said...

Oh, I can almost smell them from here! If we ever get around to redoing the yard, I want lilacs under my kitchen window!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

What a beautiful picture...I can just about smell them.