Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Magic of Mod Podge

I was playing around with the camera tonight, trying to learn how take pictures at more interesting angles and getting the knack of taking pictures without a tripod. Oh. my. gosh. what a challenge for me! It is a good thing I don't make my living as a photographer or I would starve to death. I do love that we have digital now so at least I don't have to wait a week and spend a fortune to find out I need a LOT more practice! Delete, delete, delete.

Anyway, I picked this little Altoids tin that I made several years ago to practice with and it made me think of a story. A story about the magic of Mod Podge.

The photograph and text were both adhered to the box with Mod Podge and the entire thing was sealed with more Mod Podge after the paint was applied. I had this little box sitting on a shelf above my workbench. One day I noticed it was missing. Well, I thought and thought and I couldn't remember moving it. Hmm, sometimes I forget things but, but... So I called my daughter-in-law and I asked her if she had been over and moved things around. No problem with that, just trying to figure out where my little box went. No luck. Tried the husband next. You can imagine how that conversation went...
[Me] Did you go in my art room and take my little box?
[Him] Huh?

Okay, now I'm getting freaked out. Robbers came into my art room while I was gone and they left the computer and the TV and they took my little mermaid box. Yes, that must be it. Some creepy cult that steals altered Altoids boxes.
Now I'm getting frantic. Are we safe in our own home? Is it Alzheimer's?
So I start searching again. Then it dawns on me that the water jar I use to swish my paintbrushes in is directly below the shelf where the box was standing. The water was cloudy gray because I rarely rinse it out until I'm starting something new. By now I'm sure you know where this is going.....
Sure enough, the little box was soaking in the bottom of the water jar. I think it had been in there about 3 days based on the last time I painted. I pulled it out and it was a cloudy white and kind of soft. I figured it was a goner. But not being quick to throw in the towel, I rinsed it off and propped it open on a paper towel. The next morning everything had dried and it was good as new except for a few rust stains that made it look better than before.
When the bottle says there is nothing that will remove Mod Podge once it dries - they MEAN it! I'm surprised the government doesn't use this stuff. Well, maybe they do. Good stuff.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your story is so cute!! :D

so many memories said...

Hahahaha!!! Great story and sounds exactly like something I would do! I'm working on my photography too. It's not as easy as it looks!