Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Searching

Well, here's something strange to look at! I absolutely know I cannot draw and I don't even know if I want to learn but Kelly Rae Robert's book, Taking Flight, inspired me to give it a try. Trying to find my voice is such a struggle!! Many years ago I tole painted in a folk art style that was roughly based on Bauernmalerei. When I had a blank piece in front of me I knew EXACTLY what to do. I had a style. I painted and people paid and that was that. I lived in a different world then; one where I didn't have what people consider a "real" job. Painting helped pay the bills and allowed me to stay home with my young children. I am really not sure I care to go back to that world. You get caught up in making what people want and making money and some of the creativity is lost. But I digress...
Since I have discovered mixed media and altered anything and outsider art I LOVE, LOVE LOVE the genre but I struggle to find my voice. There are so many talented artist out there and I read the books and I "try on" their styles, but nothing emerges as truly MINE. I know this is a passing fad, just like the tole painting I did in the 80s, so I'm not even sure I want to go back down that road of making things to make money. If it doesn't make money then what's the point (that's my Norwegian side). Making art for art's sake is admirable (that's my Irish side). There must be some happy middle ground!
I am currently using Lisa Sonora Beam's book "The Creative Entrepreneur" to see if I can figure out what it is I really want to do with the art.
To be continued......
BTW, the numbers represnt beers. I thought #4 looked like Tina Turner gone wrong but my son says it looks like a transvestite.

1 comment:

Michelle Murphy said...

okay if that is not drawing then i want your talent..i love kelly rae too..i could just and paste your post to my blog as i know excatly what you are feeling..i have not created in awhile and fighting to get that muse to come back..