this post. I started out with the smallest one to get the "lay of the land", so to speak. I didn't use exterior house paint like Roberta uses. I used acrylic craft paint, keeping in mind the color pallet I told you about in this post.
I painted the back sides first. Note to self: try a little harder to smooth those out the next time! The Bears Breeches leaf (upper right) was the most fun to paint. The Hosta (upper left) was the hardest because the striations went in both directions. I started out thinking it was going to have a lot of turquoise and, um, not sure exactly where that went. The trick is dry brushing and just keep going until you like the look.
I finished them with a brush-on satin polyurethane. It gave them a little more gloss that I would have liked so next time I will go with matte. Since they will be outdoors they will be exposed to the elements and I'm sure they will dull up a bit with time.
Painting these was SO FUN. I'm looking forward to making more. Must buy a Bears Breeches plant!
There is still time to leave a comment and enter December Give-away #2 so don't miss out!
Giving a tray a Beach/Shabby makeover and some character
20 minutes ago