Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Project Is Perked

Really, it was hardly complicated enough to call it a project but I did finish it up last night.  If you follow my blog then you know I love sewing notions and accumulate a lot of pins and needles from the poke sacks I buy.  I do actually use the pins to secure things in my inspiration kits and sewing trims I sell on Etsy so there is always an assortment of pincushions sitting on my desk.
I had set the broze baby shoes on my desk and one of my tomatoe pincushions wandered its way on to the ashtray spot, as things sometime do.  Ash tray and baby shoe in the same sentence.  Whoa, that was a different era! 
At first I was thinking I would just stuff the little shoes but the openings are very small so they made tiny pincushions.  Instead, I decided to go with "muffin top" shoes and simply hot glued the velvet cushions on top.  I pulled the SugarCushion off my Etsy because the color worked perfectly.  It is not attached so I can lift that one off when I need the pins on one of the other worktables.
I think my mother would be happy to know these little shoes are still loved and used a half century later!

12 comments:

My Vintage Mending said...

I had to look close enough to realize that that was a mug. I love how it turned out. What else can you do with those shoe. Ashtray? Really? So cute. Smiles...Renee

cathy @ma vie trouvee said...

It turned out great! What a fun way to use the bronze baby shoes.

web hosting said...

Hello
The Project Is Perked
Amazing blog post as always! I am very glad to see your post, I located what I was in search of here
Thank you!

Diane said...

This is awesome--perfect!!

Barbara said...

Finally - something to do with an ashtray that doesn't involve its original use!

Laurie said...

That is sweet, and so useful!

Lovey said...

So cool!!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Adorable Kathy and so functional too. I have a pair of my baby shoes that my grandmother had preserved in porcelain. They sit on my dresser, I should do something like this to make them functional. Great idea.

Cheryl said...

I love your pin cushion baby shoes. super cute!!!

Unknown said...

I love what you did with the baby shoes, great idea.
Thanks for stopping by my button post. I find it interesting that craft projects really do come around if one only waits long enough.
Michele

Curtains in My Tree said...

Love the baby shoe pin cushions
I am going to use your idea for a pair of bookend baby shoes I have

Annette said...

I love this Kathy! What a perfect way to use a special keepsake.