Sunday, June 29, 2014

Saturday Fun

 First off, let me apologize for the wonky angle on this picture!  My camera was "exhausted" (I love how it announces it's dead battery) and I was in a hurry to take these pictures so I could, um, dive in to that tin of buttons.  I gave it about 10 minutes on the charger and snapped fast.
I actually bought the little wheelbarrow last Monday.  I had an errand to do at the bank and Nina and Joe's Division Street Antiques just happens to be two doors down and this little treasure was sitting outside. It will be headed to the garden and planted.  I made a quick stop to buy it and went back on Saturday to take my time.  There is always something new.
 They know my love of button and had this seriously HUGE tin waiting for me.  It must weight 15 pounds.  Of course, I couldn't resist the old scrapbook with the roses on the front.  I haven't paged through it all yet but it is from the 1950s.  There are some fun scraps inside to that will be a future post.
 I picked up a couple more yardsticks.  I have a table I want to top with them.  This is the first time I have seen the little hatchet cookie cutter.  Surely it must have come in a set that had some cherries, too.  Imagine, cookies for President's Day!
 I am always on the lookout for interesting photos for my altered Altoids tins and these fit the bill.  Now if I could just find a good deal on the tins! I am almost out.  I use the old style with the flat lid.  A couple of years ago I found some reproduction ones on line and bought a whole case but they are almost gone and the ones I am finding now have a huge minimum order.  Does anyone know a good source??
 Ahhh...  the buttons!  These are the "real deal", meaning an unsorted lot in as-found condition including all the odd things that end up in button boxes.  Yes, that is a rock on the top.
Naturally, I couldn't resist poking through just a little to see what kind of treasures were in store.  Luckily there don't appear to be any sick buttons, just very dirty.  I will show more once I get them all sorted out and cleaned up.
On Saturday afternoon I met Laurie aka Magpie Ethel at Monticello Antique Mall to give her a bag of craft stuff I picked up for her at a recent estate sale.  We enjoyed a cup of fancy coffee and a nice visit as we strolled through the booths.  I picked up two more yardsticks for my project.
It was a good day!

13 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I was so amazed by the buttons that I was reading your post out loud to my hubby. I'm sure he's interested in a big tin of buttons, too! haha! But that really is amazing! What a treasure trove! And how nice to get to spend some time with a blog buddy! Hugs, Diane

Into Vintage said...

That little cookie cutter is the cutest - I've never seen one shaped like an ax before. Please let me know when the baking will commence.
I don't know what a good price is for the tins but I see them on ebay quite often.

BucksCountyFolkArt said...

You and Magpie together? One can only imagine the trouble that went on!

Blessed Serendipity said...

Button button who's got the button? We all know it's KATHY! I bet the wheelbarrow looks pretty sweet planted. Nice finds all around.

xo Danielle

Maureen said...

Love the wheelbarrow! Oh how I would love to hang with you and Laurie! What a great time that would be.

Gail said...

You're killing me here! I can only imagine the 'hijinks' that you and Laurie could get into....the mind boggles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Annette said...

I had never seen a hatchet cookie cutter until just this week while in central Oregon. And it looked just like yours!!! What a wonderful score of buttons. Wow! I am anxious to see the beauties all sorted and cleaned.

My Garden Diaries said...

Ah!! Gorgeous finds as always friend! I am sitting here looking at your buttons thinking how wonderful they are! My jar of buttons from my grandmother sits on my shelf...I adore them! Wishing you a lovely week ahead!! Nicole xoxo

Junque Seeker said...

Love it all! The buttons you've shown are wonderful. Can hardly wait to see more, and oh, that scrapbook! I'm anxiously anticipating your next post.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I'm drooling over that huge tin of buttons. You're going to have so much fun sorting through all these little treasures. Love the black and whites, yardsticks...love it all!!

Celestina Marie said...

You hit the jackpot on those buttons and I love the sweet little wheelbarrow. So cute. The yardsticks are a treasured fine. I have a few and love mine too.

Have a great week and 4th of July!
Hugs

Annette said...

That wheelbarrow is going to look adorable in your garden! I bet you had fun sorting through all those buttons.

Curtains in My Tree said...

I already said it but I love those buttons