Friday, November 2, 2012

That Was Then And This Is Now

 At this time of year, 25+ years ago, I would have been frantically painting my little candlestick people for the annual holiday bazaars The Husband and I always participated in.  I would paint bowls and plates plus dozens of little people, lined up like soldiers, on TV trays next to my painting table.  There were other designs but the ones in this picture were handy.  But wait!  What is that standing in the middle of the little army of folk art??
 A while ago {quite a while ago!} I asked The Husband if he could take a stroll down memory lane and remember how to turn one for me, sans the candle hole in the top.  I used it to make this little talisman or Muse for my art room.  Oh yes, times change and so do tastes!
 She has bling around her middle and an assortment of charms dangling from her belt.  She has little tinkling bells for cheer, a crown because it is good to be queen, a bird for freedom, stars for dreams and glass and pearl beads because they are things I love.  My MIL, a talented fiber artist, always says her brains are in her hands.  I gave my Muse big hands.
 She is dressed in vintage lace, has a beehive hairdo decorated with old millinery flowers and flys with tarnished wings.  My Muse - a velveteen woman, indeed.


8 comments:

Barbara said...

She's terrific! You must have had a great time finding all of her accessories.

My Vintage Mending said...

These are gorgeous...I love the steamer wings and all the lace. You have a very talented family...smiles..Renee

Andy's Attic said...

She is great...love that you gave her big hands. Have you seen her fly or does she just do it when you aren't looking?? Love those wings, too.

Into Vintage said...

She is simply amazing. I appreciate all the thought you put into each of her charms and those big hands are the best!!

P.S. Those other gals are pretty sweet as well. :-)

Annette said...

I adore every single part of her! I remember those steamer petals from your lamp and they are perfect for wings. I love that she is so you!
And the ladies and gentleman who surround her are pretty incredible too!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

She's fabulous! I love your creative use of all these bits and pieces. Now you need to create an entire family for her!!

vintage grey said...

She is so beautiful!! Love her!! xo Heather

CATHY said...


I love her! such a fun comparison to your old style - which are quite sweet too!