Sunday, March 1, 2015

The Metal Buttons and a Rocket Man

A few fun finds from the past week.  The metal trash can will be staying with me for storage, at least for a while. I am switching it out with one that has a retro wine theme.  I prefer the floral, imagine that.  I have been working on a little reorganizing in the art room to fit in the vintage toy box I showed you in this post and you know how one thing leads to another once you start moving things around.
This train case is more square than the typical rectangle.  The inside is going to be a challenge but I think I can rescue it to live another day.
This quilt was my favorite find.  The roses and colors are perfect in my world and it will be staying with me.
I don't know enough about quilting to tell the difference between the real deal and one made off-shore to look old.  If you click this one bigger you can see the hand stitching, which looks sort of clumsy.  Either way, it washed up beautifully and is a perfect accent in my guest bedroom so it's a keeper.
I also found two hand-made flannel baby shirts.   As if these giraffe weren't cute enough....
A rocket man!!  This has to be the most unique design I have ever seen for a baby shirt.  I would love to find the embroidery transfers that this design came from!
The wood and metal keepers are the last of the button reveal from the big haul last month.  The two painted wooden buttons are pretty worn out but interesting enough to be keepers.
These three are my favorites from the metal buttons.  I don't know the material in the background of the one in the upper left but I suspect horn.  The other two have fabric backgrounds.
****UPDATE****
A reader named Carlene (no blog that I know of) educated me that those little animal charms in this post are celluloid and were attached to string bread ties as a premium. That explains what I described as tassels on two of them.  That is just what remains of the string they were tied on with.  Once I knew what to look for I was able to find out there are all kinds, including some that are hand painted. So much more fun than the plastic and wire ties we get today! 

16 comments:

NanaDiana said...

I am so tickled to find out what those little plastic animals are...I knew I had seen them somewhere for some purpose. That was really a fun find. xo Diana

Annette said...

What is not to love with these finds. The quilt is wonderful and I, too, am not always sure about age on quilts. Love the trash can and am anxious to see your art room redo!

Curtains in My Tree said...


I just can't stand it anymore, looking at all your buttons finds !!LOL

I need some new old buttons , guess i'll shop etsy, but I like to touch them first LOL

I won't be out looking in all this snow, it's a studio day

Annette said...

The quilt looks like the real deal...what a great find. And that embroidery is so stinkin cute! I never would have guessed the little animals were attached to bread ties. The things you learn!

CATHY said...

love that train case!

The Junque Seeker said...

What a neat train case! The rest of your finds are great, too. I think the quilt is the real deal. I'm not a quilter but the stitches look like basting stitches to me, so perhaps the maker never completed the actual quilting? I like it just as it is, though!

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

The train case and the quilt are my favorites - nice!! Estate sale or resale shop?

Shirlee Fassell said...

I believe the metal buttons with the fabric back are"perfume buttons". Ladies would dab perfume on them rather then risking staining their clothes. May be valuable? They are great as well as the rest of your finds!

Melissa said...

That little "rocket man" linen is SO adorable. I think I'd have him framed. :)

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Thanks for sharing the last of your fabulous button haul, they're all sooo pretty! Very interesting about the animal charm bread ties. Can you imagine finding those on a loaf of bread these days? Rocket man is adorable, it almost looks like he's riding on a carrot.

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

What charming and fun new finds!! The rocket man is pretty cute! ;) xo Holly

vintage grey said...

Sweet finds!! Love that little rocket guy! So cute! I would love to find those transfers, too. That train case is so neat and a beautiful quilt!! xo Heather

Laurie said...

animal charm bread ties (dying!)

Laurie said...

PS you know the fabric background buttons are perfume buttons, right? fabric behind to hold a scent.

Marie Weber said...

Wow very lovely post of military buttons. One of such accessories is Metal buttons for clothing, they come in different shapes and sizes and they can actually make a dull outfit look graceful and beautiful. Find beautiful metal buttons from abmfashion.com

IowaKim said...

I think maybe that's a mouse astronaut in the rocket?