Monday, February 23, 2015

Some Creepy Junk and Some Pretty Buttons

My name is Kathy and I am powerless against the siren song of The Bins.  I knew resistance was futile when they built it so darn handy to the big girl job, but I tried, I really did.  In my defense, I did set a goal to leave my desk more at lunchtime this year.  This is my lunch stop on Friday.
I read once what these crockery cloches are used for but it escapes me now.  It looks like a mouse hole, doesn't it!
Love, love this very vintage key hole.  One of the things that makes digging The Bins so much fun is that it really is true that one man's junk is another man's treasure.
A couple of Putz houses that need some fixing to join my décor for next Christmas.  The spun head angel is in the Ethel box so Laurie can lavish some Magpie love on her. 
The lovely lady on the postcard is Bessie.  Why are there no more Bessies?  Surely that name will come back in fashion one of these days.
If you follow me on Instagram then you have already seen creepy wind-up baby.  Trust me, it gets even worse when you turn the crank and it's arms and legs flail.
Vintage white birdies, seam binding rolls and an unusual cupcake pan.  I am guessing it is WWII when metal was going to the war effort so they eliminated what they could from the pan and just hooked the cups together down the center.
Does anyone know what these tiny little animals are?  The stand about 1/2" high.  I already had a donkey and then found these two in a bin.  I thought they might be Cracker Jack toys but that didn't seem to pan out when I Googled.  My donkey has a tassel like the camel does and they are made of plastic.
Dismembered china dolls and some very vintage leather baby shoes.  To clean or not to clean??
I have no idea why this picture decided to turn sideways.  Maybe you can tilt your head.  Yes, I bought a box of air, but those old graphics are just so darn cute!
A few more of the buttons from the VOA haul.  The ones on the left are vegetable ivory and the center are MOP.  The ones on the right are among my very favorites I have found.  They are wood on one half and a transparent plastic on the other.  This is the first time I have found ones like this.
Plastic rhinestones.  I prefer the ones set in glass or metal but it's hard to not love sparkly stuff!

14 comments:

laurie -magpie ethel said...

Those bins are just too darn handy for you to hit. I would not be able to limit it to just Friday! Fun finds and glad the spun head is headed my way. I would have thought Cracker Jack charms as well...perhaps blogland will know the answer.

NanaDiana said...

What fun you are having at The Bins! lol You find so many fun things there. And I bet that baby is a bit creepy all wound up.
I have seen those little plastic animals somewhere but can't remember where. Do they glow in the dark by any chance?

I think that crockery with the opening at the bottom is an old bee skep. Not sure but that is my guess. xo Diana

Annette said...

If the bins help you reach your goal for the year, then so be it! The key hole is fascinating. I like the name Bessie too. Both of hubby's grandmother's names were Bessie.

Gail said...

Great finds as usual for you! I think your plastic animals with loops are actually vintage charms for charm bracelets......there were many that had plastic charms.
Just a guess of course!

Jennifer Pearson Vanier said...

Happy finds! The crock-like piece is the top of a chicken waterer. The base would have looked like a crockery pie plate. I have two glass ones. Love the other bits and bobs.

Maureen said...

Oh I fear I would be right there with you spending my lunch hour shopping if it was so near to work too. The variety of stuff you uncover is awesome!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

If we had a place like The Bins around here, I'd be over there every day! What a load of fabulous little pretties and creepy stuff too.

Annette said...

I am so jealous. You just keep finding the most wonderful things at those bins. I've been housebound for two weeks due to the crud, but as soon as I can get up the energy I am heading over to those bins!!!!

Unknown said...

You gals on the west coast seem to have the best shopping places. I wish we had some bins around here. I agree with Betsy, I would be there every day as well digging to see what I can find. I always love your button!

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

What fabulous finds in The Bins!! I wish we had a great place like that around here! Lovely new buttons too! :) xo Holly

Laurie said...

I think those little charms used to come in gumball machines -- I may be wrong but my mom had a lot of them so they were from the 40's-50's. I love that box with the little gnomes/elves!

Curtains in My Tree said...


Oh you did good on this dig, the crockery thing is a cover for a water plate for chickens, or feed i think

I like everything even the little baby shoe and of course the plastic rhinestone buttons I have small dishes of those.

You have such good lunch breaks

CatieAn said...

oh my what wonderful treasures.
The plastic animals are bracelet charms and the crock is just what the other oldies have said chicken water feeders. My aunt and uncle had several for all of their chickens.
Charm bracelets were big in the 40's and 50's and the plastic animals added something different than metal charm

Celestina Marie said...

Kathy you are having way too much fun and find the best goodies. I had a good pick on my getaway too. Love your buttons and those little putz houses are too cute. The vintage keyhole is a treasure and I adore the sweet blue bird.
Thanks for stopping by while I was away.
Hugs, CM