Thursday, January 2, 2014

Catching Up On The Buttons

 I promised I would show the button goodness from that big lot of buttons I scored during my Last Minute Shopping in this post.  The holiday dust has settled so here we go...
 I showed the POD buttons and the Portland FD button already.  These are the rest of the uniform buttons. I don't usually find so much variety in one button box.  It was clearly a "real" one so this woman's husband must have had quite a career or her accumulation spanned some generation.  I adore the "stories" you can find in a button box!  You can also see one of the two carved wooden buttons in the upper right corner.
 Some fun plastics and wafers and a couple of plain vegetable ivory in the bottom right..
A little group of glass buttons and one carved MOP on the left side and two matching tight-tops down at the bottom.  I have found that white milk glass button with the ridges before but it was chipped.  This one is perfect so made me happy!  There is always room for a few more buttons.
Now a little confession...  the dust hasn't really settled and I am off to pack up some Christmas decorations.

9 comments:

Maureen said...

Oh what a great variety! I love the carved ones and the uniform buttons... I never gave buttons much of a thought before I met you Kathy. Now I appreciate them so much more!

Ha! About putting away the decor; I have to do that as well... so sad ;)

Cheryl ~ ZanyMayd said...

Hi Kathy, I always love when you teach us about your newest button treasure. I never thought about uniform buttons before, I have a large jar full or odds & ends, think I may need to go thru them one of these days (a perfect time to organize the buttons)
Hope you're staying warm, 7" on the ground & -18 with the wind chill, may not sleep with my window all the way open tonight....
Cheryl

Art and Sand said...

How fun to have all those buttons to play with. I love the design of those light blue buttons in the last photo.

I have most of Christmas put away, but I spent all day just arranging the dining room and entry. At this rate it will be spring before I get the house organized.

Tami Hacker said...

Hi Kathy! What a mixture batch of button treasures you found. As you wrote, there are a lot of stories behind these buttons, too bad we don't know them.

Last night I started my long process of putting away Christmas décor. Sounds like we will be enjoying our weekend doing the same thing.

The Polka Dot Closet said...

The dust hasn't really settled at my house either lol! Love looking at your buttons, what a collection of uniform buttons, I have to say I don't think I have EVER found any and your found the mother load...And Oh, love the carved wooden ones

Carol

Annette said...

Button, button, who has the button??? You have made me appreciate all the beauty in old buttons. I am so happy you still find new batches of them to sort and clean and share. And about the Christmas décor......ditto for me.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Oooh, I want to reach out and touch! The carved MOP is my favorite. The dust has settled here...all over my furniture:-)

Annette said...

Very cool buttons!
I keep finding other things to do besides putting away Christmas! Maybe this weekend...

Laurie said...

I think the carved wooden ones are my favorites -- I don't think I've ever seen any before!