Sunday, January 12, 2014

A Hopeful Sign

 I took a quick run through the VOA yesterday spent a whopping 99¢ on the pink mirrored jewelry box.  I like the patina on the mirror.  This morning I noticed an estate sale in a reasonable driving distance so headed over to see if there was anything left.  I bought another apothecary because I'm just stooopid on those things, some burlap, a few notions and some mostly newer buttons.
 These tiny treasures will wait in the wings until I get around to more shadowboxes.  The white candle holder looks like the more common resin ones but it actually ceramic and has a Trimont Ware Japan label.
This was my favorite find.  A box of souvenir playing cards of the Southern Pacific Lines.  The faces of the cards feature old photographs of scenes along the Sunset, Overland, Golden State and Shasta Routes. The pack includes a little booklet describing each scene.  Just the kind of treasure I love to find.
I am taking this as a sign that the junking drought is coming to an end.

13 comments:

laurie -magpie ethel said...

I hope your sign that the drought is ending is true. Crossing fingers.

vintage grey said...

Pretty finds and love the lace and doily! Hope there are many more treasures coming your way! xo Heather

Annette said...

I love those miniatures and the playing cards. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping the drought is over!

Curtains in My Tree said...

You always find something to carry home LOL I love estate sales
Kathy in all your sewing notions do you have a threading needle for a braided rug kit?
The lady who I am looking for one said it's sort of flat with a thread hole on one end I would think pretty big for a rug ? circle or oval usually plastic older ones may be metal
Just thought I would mention it incase you come upon one I am looking around here in shops

Janice

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

It's raining junk, I think it might be over. Buttons are always good, and those cards are a real fun find too.

must love junk said...

Gotta love those bargains! :)
Susan

Blessed Serendipity said...

Hope the junking drought is over for you too. Those cards are neat and I like the pink jewelry box too. You always seem to find something good when you go thrifting.

xo Danielle

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

Lovely finds Kathy! Pretty buttons and love the spool of lace! That will be fun to use!! The souvenir cards are definitely neat!! Have a great new week!! xo Holly

20 North Ora said...

You scored on these items! Always love buttons. Those cards are really cute!

Judy

Maureen said...

Cool graphics on those cards; also love the little treasures for a future shadowbox. I do hope the drought is over for you! I haven't gone antiquing in awhile; I made a date with daughter that we need to go in a few weeks. She wholeheartedly agreed. ;)

Celestina Marie said...

Kathy you find the best treasures. Wonderful finds and I love the little minis for shadow boxes. Those cards are awesome!
Always love to find buttons on their card too.
Happy Treasure hunting.
Hugs!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I love the playing cards. I am always surprised that I can find treasures at the end of an estate sale

CArol

Patty Antle said...

I cannot pass up buttons or lace anywhere I go. :-)