Sunday, January 22, 2012

Weekend Finds

 I went to two estate sales this weekend and two thrift stores.  I had to shop hard for my little pile of treasures!  Most of these goodies came from the first estate sale. Three, count 'em, three blue satin dresser boxes, sweet vintage baby shoes, white lawn hankies, a pretty piece of vintage fabric and buttons.  The only thing I bought at the second estate sale was four old-school Altoids tins.
 I can't believe how lucky I have been with buttons lately.  I got this tin full plus a big hand full of carded buttons plus half a dozen corsage pins.  That reminds me of something funny that happened the other day.  My younger son came over the other night and said he brought me something.  He reached in his back pocket and pulled out two vintage folders of Happy Home and Bestmaid needles.  Huh?  What?  He has my mother's old sewing machine because he sews outdoor gear and he found them in the seat of the sewing machine table.  How did I miss those?
 This cute little kitty curled up in her bed lifts off and it is a lint brush.  So sweet!  This will end up over in my Etsy shop for someone to enjoy.  It is heavy plastic but it has sort of an art nouveau look.
I love the colors in this piece of vintage fabric.  It is square and has a handkerchief hem on all four sides so I think it was a small card-table cloth.  There were a lot of linens and I stuck to my guns and didn't buy anything except this one piece that I just couldn't resist. I pretended it was fabric and not a tablecloth to make it okay - LOL!
The two old painting books are kind of a blast from the past and, who knows, maybe they will get me painting again.  I got them out of the 25 cent bin at one of the thrift stores.  The other thrift had everything on half price and, even then, I couldn't find a single thing I wanted.  Slim thrift pickings, indeed, but you have to kiss a lot of frogs....

6 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

Hi sweet Kathy!!! I just love your found treasures! Buttons are always the best ~ such little jewels. I crafted the belt of my doll dress from the most wonderful piece of trim...it's kind of loopy and so beautiful. Thank you so much for visiting me!!! I hope you have a great week ahead, hugs and love, Dawn

Diane said...

I know, there are times when it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack--but then there are those other times when you can't stop finding good stuff--I guess this is part of the fun every week--I can't wait for the Spring.

We're going to the Highway 127 sale in August--So much Fun to go to!!!

My Vintage Mending said...

I have had trouble at the thrifts for some time. Seems it has gotten really popular and all the good stuff is gone before I get there. Or there is no good stuff anymore? You did find some good stuff though. Cat is darling and the fabric is super cute. I know there is plenty of goodness in the buttons. What a great boy you have! Smiles...Renee

Laurie said...

Well, you know it's been slim pickins out here, too -- it must be a glitch in the thrifting system! I am so impressed that you get the stuff photographed and blogged about so quickly!

Andy's Attic said...

You found some good things. It is hard sometimes and others we find bunches of stuff....who knows. I didn't even get out this weekend.
Maybe through the seek I will!!
Annette

Amanda said...

Looks like a successful shopping trip to me! I've been wishing and hoping for an estate sale in my neck of the woods but there just haven't been any! Maybe next weekend. So fun to see all of your treasures! And thank you so much for your sweet visit and kind comments! Have a wonderful day!
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda