Saturday, January 14, 2012

Birdies and Tiny Treasures

 I got out to one estate sale today, my first one of the year.  When I spotted this robin figurine at about one-quarter the price I would have expected, I swooped it right up.  A sign from the picking gods that this will be a good year for junk??  I hope so!  And you can never have too many birdies, that's what I say.  8+)
 This is the rest of the loot.  You can click the picture bigger to get a better look at the buttons.  There were all the usual suspects including some carved mother-of-pearl, iridescent glass, rhinestones and a pretty little cut steel.  I have resolved to try my best to NOT rescue every vintage linen I run across.  I make a lot of work for myself with the cleaning and ironing and they really don't sell very well.  I couldn't resist this one little heart-shaped one since it is so  near Valentines Day.  Machine made and no stains.  No worries.
 These were my favorite buttons in the lot.  I have never seen glass rhinestones this tiny. Glass rhinestones set in teeny, tiny glass buttons.  Amazing!
So why did I buy this, you might be wondering??  My younger son collects vintage woodworking tools and he has been wanting an old hand-crank bench grinder.  Last weekend he and I spent the afternoon going through the antique malls in the Sellwood neighborhood.  He was able to point out a few things so I would know what to watch for.  My back ached for two days after all that standing on the concrete but an afternoon with my boy - priceless!  I hope this was a score.

6 comments:

Annette said...

The birdies are just so sweet, especially with the baby bird in the nest. And those tiny buttons look like they could be earring studs...very pretty! I know what you mean about time with your son. I don't get to spend nearly enough time with mine.

oldgreymare said...

What a special day for you. My son and I are always in Best Buy.... : ( sigh
xxx
z

laurie -magpie ethel said...

I picked up that same bird at the sale today - but glad I left it behind for you to swoop in on..it is adorable. (sale on Grant?)

Diane said...

Loving what you found and envying you SO much too for being able to get out and do this. Everything pretty much stops around here when we go in a deep freeze.
:-(

Laurie said...

Oh, how neat that you were able to get something cool for your son! I feel the same way as you do about vintage linens. I tend to only buy those that are a color other than white anymore.

My Vintage Mending said...

Button karma again! Those little ones go in a special bin at my house. Love your finds...smiles..>Renee