Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Strange Notions

 NOT strange notions - awesome notions!  I stopped in at Nina and Joe's last week and Nina had a box she had bought at auction with me in mind.  Oh my goodness - yes!
 These vintage curtain tie-back tassels are glass and have a very high-end feel to them.  They might even be Flapper necklaces but I'm thinking curtain tie-backs.  They are currently hanging around Mona's neck so she can play dress up.
 Old cording and a stack of cute little table place cards.  They have a little flap to fold over on one end so they stand up.
 Here is a closer look at the silver tassels.  There are nine of these and they are tied together with a piece of vintage chenille.
 Some perfectly tarnished gold metal trims.  I adore the patina on these old trims.
 They remind me of the notions you see in articles about Tinsel Trading Company.  That little flower basket applique is marked Germany.
 These tassels with the big glass beads have a couple broken ones so I will probably take them apart or maybe keep them for myself.
 This metallic trim is pretty tattered but I will be able to salvage out some pieces that will be great for altered art or lace books.
Last of all, this adorable little "project".  Click it bigger so you can read the instructions.  You can use this card and one of Mother's empty thread spools to make your own little piggy pet!
If you know anything about any of these strange notions - please do tell!

17 comments:

Beth Leintz said...

Wow your strange notions made me gasp. Just gorgeous. I've had sooke of the patinaed metallic appliques and I think they are 1920s French but don't bet money on it.

I have run across the spool animals before. I think there was a series of them. Somewhere on my blog I have a scan of a different one under the category "clip art"

Art and Sand said...

I am trying to catch up so I read backwards for a bit. Boy, have you had a lot of "button love".

I can't wait for you to retire and just create all day long. It will be fun to see what ideas you come up with.

The Junque Seeker said...

Oh my! These are truly treasures, and what a treasure of a friend you have in Nina. That metallic trim is amazing, even the tattered piece. I have a similar flower basket applique and a few very tiny pieces of metallic trim that I'm hoarding. Enjoy!

Shirlee Fassell said...

What a great trove of goodies! Nina knows her customers!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Those are awesome! I love the metallic trims and the piggy card is a treasure! What a neat box of goodies! You'll have such fun with everything! Hugs, Diane

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

What a load of fabulous notions! You have your own personal picker now, how fun that Nina bought these with you in mind. Those tassels are gorgeous, I think they'd be so pretty as necklaces. Love the little build a piggy cards. You could make copies with card stock and build your own farm.

Tami Hacker said...

What wonderful notions! I'd be dancing a happy dance if I'd had found all of these beauties! Looking forward to see what you create with them!

Annette said...

Nina really knows you and is a dear to save this box for you. WOW is all I can say. she found some Great notions just for you.

Annette said...

Wow, Nina sure knows her customer! I can't even pick a favorite, they're all so amazing! I bet Mona's happy :)

Maggie said...

whoa!! talk about bling! Good old Nina, she is a doll to gather all of this up with you in mind. The tattered metallic grey/silver trim is my favorite...love it!! And the tassels! What a score :-)

Gail said...

Those trims make my eyes light up! How very gorgeous, especially those silver tassels, absolutely beautiful!!
Course I love it all......lucky you.

Blessed Serendipity said...

I don't find your notions strange at all. They are all wonderful! I hope you make something equally wonderful with some of it.

xo Danielle

laurie -magpie ethel said...

Man that was nice of Nina! I was thinking of heading their way tomorrow. Estate sale land does not look too hot and J & N always is a good fix.

NanaDiana said...

I have seen those glass beaded tassels and have a couple of them.I know that some of those were used as lamp pulls back in the early 1900s and they used them to decorate knobs on furniture, too.

That little pig thing is really funny. He must have been a "spool pet". lol

Thank you for finding me today. I am your newest follower and I will stick you on my sidebar right away.

Because you are new I will tell you that I have a drawing going on. It is back a few posts and the drawing will be on Saturday so there's still time to sign up. Hugs- Diana

suziqu's thread works said...

Hi Kathy
Those glass beaded tassels are so very special - in fact, amazing!
Those metallic trims especially the the last tattered ones are absolutely gorgeous! Such lucky finds!

Maureen said...

Wow, very cool! So lucky to have someone to get these treasures from. Happy Halloween Kathy!

CATHY said...

Love the pig project!