Sunday, October 19, 2014

Saturday Loot and Some Guidance Needed

 Saturday was the much-anticipated re-opening of Division Street Antiques after their annual buying trip.  There was line outside, the store was jammed and I was more than a bit overwhelmed with the crowd.  Between the catching up and the crowd I wasn't able to make many decisions but I didn't come out empty-handed!  I didn't even get a picture of my favorite score of the day.  My older son has been looking for a vintage table-top microphone to re-purpose.  Joe told me he had one in the shop so the hunt was on.  Between several of us searching it was finally found and purchased.  My son came by a little later in the day, before I got a photo, and whisked it away.  He is happy so I am happy!
 I grabbed these two chairs for my imaginary mall booth.  Yes, I have put out the feelers for one and I am accumulating some inventory.  I introduced these two to Mr. Clean and his famous Magic Eraser and they are cleaning up to that chippy white patina that is so popular right now.  HERE IS WHERE I NEED SOME GUIDANCE...  I am sure I will get multiple opinions but I want to hear them all.  The paint is chippy and it is old enough that I'm sure it contains lead.  Do I seal them with a clear coat, which will make it harder for the buyer to strip off if they want to go in a different direction or do I leave as-is and let buyer beware?  Please do tell what you think.
 I grabbed a couple pieces of barkcloth for the wire basket project.  The glass doorknob has a chip but it is flat so stands up nicely to make a sign.  As soon as I learn how to do that.  The wooden bottles are interesting.  One is clearly a needle case.  The four shorter ones held split-shot for fishing and the two laying on their sides are pencil leads.  All have been emptied of their contents and will be re-purposed.  The picture of the BFFs will find a new home on an Altoids tin.
 Interesting odds and ends.  The things on the right are plastic window shade pulls in a design I haven't seen before.
 Be sure you click this one bigger.  These little fellows are a HOOT and I bet they were able to get into a little trouble together!
This old cabinet card has a great steampunk vibe I couldn't pass up.
I'm looking forward to getting back in there when it is a little less crowded and I can see the whole story.  Congratulations to Nina and Joe on a great re-opening!

15 comments:

Gail said...

Great finds Kathy! I can't make myself get out there today beyond grocery shopping....it's a gorgeous sunny Fall day and I'm dyeing some linens to let them dry in the breeze.
I would seal the chairs if I were you, they're darling.
Good luck finding a mall space, so much fun!

Jewels said...

I go for buyer beware and let them decide...love the photos

Blessed Serendipity said...

I am so happy that you are considering a space! Yay for you! You have to consider how much time effort and money you want to put into an item before you decide if you want to put any more work into the chairs. If you can make a quick profit "as is" without much work and you are happy selling it that way, then I say let the buyer do the work.

Danielle

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

You had quite a day and sure came home with some great stuff! Happy to hear you found the microphone for your son to repurpose. Will he be making a lamp? You'll have to show us a picture when it gets a new life. Those chairs are a great find. Are they good and strong, need any gluing? Time is money and I wouldn't put too much into them. This look is so popular and most people have an idea that they could be painted with lead paint. I'd be careful and peel away any real loose stuff, then maybe a quick clear sealer. They actually look like they're in pretty good shape.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I wouldn't do anything to the chairs. I like the chippy paint and would just resell them like that. But you should probably do what Betsy says...she's the expert and knows more about it. I looked up at her comment as I wrote this. Is that like copying someone's paper during a test in school? heehee! Hugs!

Beth Leintz said...

I love that industrial factory style picture.

As for the chairs, I'd leave them as is. My thoughts have always been that when you buy vintage, part of the "charm" is the termites, peeling paint, horsehair etc, it just goes with the territory.

laurie -magpie ethel said...

Leave the chairs as is...I wouldn't bother with them at all as they are chippy and cute as is. If someone wants to seal them they can do that...their option.
Good to see you and thanks for the goodies. You got some stuff I did not even see there!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, looks like you had a great time and your finds are treasures. Love the chippy chairs and I would sell as they are~~ perfectly charming.
Sealing really doesn't change anything about the lead because they can continue to chip even after sealing.
Have fun!!
xo

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

What fabulous finds! Your treasure hunt sounds so exciting, I can't wait to see how your son repurposes that microphone! Please do share a picture!! Those little boys do look like a hoot and like they may have gotta into a few things!...so cute though!! Those chairs look like they are in great shape! I think I would just leave them as they are. I hope you do get a booth, it would be so fun to shop and see through your pictures! Have a great week!! xo Holly

vintage grey said...

Great finds and love those chairs!! I would leave them as is, too. ;) Those little fellows are so cute!! xo Heather

Laurie said...

Wow! You always find the best stuff. Those little boys are so adorable. I wonder what the factory is in the last photo? It almost looks like a cable car turning station. As for the chairs, I would put a note on cautioning that it is old and the paint may contain lead.

Annette said...

Well, dang, I wish I had known about the reopening. I'll have to find a way over there soon. I love your finds. As for the chairs, I agree with the majority....leave them as is. Love the fabric you found and the wooden bottles. I would have grabbed those quickly, too. Hope we get to see your son's project!

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Thank you, Kathy, for leaving me such a nice comment and you really got some nice things. Don't you just love it when you are able to find stuff that you can use and enjoy. Those are cute little cottage chairs. I think they might be from the late 30's or 40's. I don't know about if they would have lead in the paint because they could have been painted later than that. If you like the way they look, just tell new owners what you think they might be..Happy Tuesday..Judy

Annette said...

The pictures, the chairs and the wooden bottles are just fabulous! The boys make me think of stories my dad has told about him and his brother. They were quite mischievous little rascals! I'm so happy to hear you have feelers out for a space. I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)

Patty Antle said...

Wish I could shop with you! You find the neatest stuff!