Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Lacy Things I Wonder About

Those of you who follow my blog know I wonder about things.  You also know I feel compelled to rescue every darned beautiful doily that gets in my path.  I have tried to stop.  Really.  Since I can't I decided I should try to learn more about what I am buying.  I bought two new reference books:  "Collecting Antique Linens, Lace & Needlework" by Frances Johnson and "The Complete Guide to Vintage Textiles" by Elizabeth Kurella.
Oh!My!Gosh!  There is so much to learn.  I already recognized tatting and fillet crochet.  I can now recognize Battenburg lace (not in the photo above but I will find a piece and show you).  I THINK the large doily in this picture is a form of bobbin lace that was made for export from China.  Butterflies were the most common motif.  But it also resembles pillow lace and Saxony Guipure.  Or maybe they are all really pillow lace....
I do not have a clue how you distinguish hand embroidery from machine embroidery.  I always thought those scalloped edges with the fine satin button-hole stitch along the edge were surely machine made but now I know there were women who could actually do that by HAND.  Amazing!
I also learned about Normandy Work.  I have never seen a piece in "person" but it is like crazy quilting made from scraps of lace - who knew and kind of intriguing.
I think that small doily at the bottom of the picture is hairpin lace.
I will keep you posted as I learn more.  Does anyone know how to recognize machine work??
 

9 comments:

Annette said...

I think I need to find those books since I have a weakness for doilies too! I have often wondered how to tell the difference between machine and hand work, so I'm no help at all!

CATHY said...

I am so happy you bought the books, now I can just get the condensed version and learn form you!!

Terri said...

Hello Kathy,
I feel the same way about linens, and lace! I wonder about all of this too, how is it made, who made it, and what was it made for.
I saw an incredible exhibit in London at the V&A museum about lace and fabric, and It was stunning! You would have loved it.
Best wishes on your learning about lace journey!
Hugs,
Terri

Barbara said...

I love that you're delving into this (and I am no help whatsoever).

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I'm clueless when it comes to recognizing hand or machine work. I can only imagine how much there is to learn, but you'll have lots of fun identifying your beautiful finds.

Andy's Attic said...

I know nothing about lace but like learning about it from you!!

vintage grey said...

Oh, I am so with you on the doilies. A girl can never have too many! Thanks for sharing about the different types. I love learning to recognize the different patterns/types, too! xo Heather

Unknown said...

Kathy, You have identified each item in your picture correctly. Yes, those ladies of yesteryear could do amazing things with a needle, including the button-hole stitch along the edge. Machine work is sometimes hard to identify and I can't tell in every instance; however, look at the back to see how it looks - that sometimes helps.

I really enjoy your blog.

bedofosm@gmail.com

Lou Anne Hazel said...

Hi Kathy. I feel exactly the same way about rescuing doilies and I have no idea about whether they are hand made or machine made. I just love them all I guess.