Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Vintage Christmas Picking

I usually pass up the Christmas isle at the thrift stores because I already own more than my fair share of Christmas. More of the "stuff" I hold on to because every little thing tells a story. And I am tired of most of it and more and more I find I have a hard time getting enthused about decorating for Christmas. But I have been inspired lately by Into Vintage and Magpie Ethel and oh so many pretty blogs displaying those glittery vintage ornaments. So I got thinking... maybe I could [gasp]... get some different stuff!
Isn't this little 3D Santa just adorable? I have just a few vintage plastic decorations I display under the miniature tree I put on my desk at work and this Santa reminds me of those. I don't even know if there is a name for that stuff! Maybe someone will see this and educate me. This ornament is far to large for the miniature tree but will fit right in on the "big" tree with a few of the old ornaments I still have from my childhood.
I bought the whole box just to get that Santa ornament and I'm not sure what I will do with the rest of them yet. I was kind of thinking of a pink theme, just to change things up, but there are only two pink ones. They are each flocked or glittered with little scenes and sentiments.
And these guys - MAN are they cute! I'm thinking I might glue them on a piece of wood or foam core covered with glitter and maybe add some glitter to the antlers, too. How does this go with a pink theme? I need to get a plan.

6 comments:

Into Vintage said...

Whoa. I love that you 'bought the whole box' to get that one ornament. You complete me :-)

I understand about the lack of enthusiasm for holiday decorating -- I like to rotate things I'm not as excited about any longer through my etsy shop to make room for the new acquisitions. This year I'm also adding vintage Christmas things made by others like Magpie Ethel, Oodles and Oodles and GeorgiaPeachez. So when I'm a really old lady, those handmade Christmas decorations will be a reminder of people I've 'met' while blogging.

Thanks for the shout out too. :-) -amy

Cheryl ~ ZanyMayd said...

I Love the Old Santa ornament, why couldn't you take all the others & paint them with glue & cover with a irridescent Pink Glitter, so some of the original would show thru & you'd get your pink theme.... Thanks for chiming in on the Submitting, I guess I need to make a point of checking the call for art page and the submitting schedule, I have looked at it before & then time goes by & the time for the art passed. then it will be months before I think of it ~ Congrats on All Your Published Creations, that is wonderful... I hope this coming year will be the year for Me - BTW, when you send the $ for return postage, do you just send what it cost you then to ship it, Or What???? Thanks for the Info, Have a wonderful week
Cheryl

Victoria said...

Wow..so charming and darling..all beautiful! It is nice to have special treasures to enjoy!! Lovely!!Aww, Cute deers..melt my heart!
Kiki~

Annette said...

I love the Santa ornament and the deer are just too adorable! And they would go perfect with a pink theme! When my son bought his first tree for his apartment, I gave him a box of vintage ornaments similar to those in your box. He informed me at Thanksgiving that he threw them away last year because they were just old and faded!!!! Needless to say, he knows now not to ever throw away anything, especially old things, before asking me if I want them!!

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

~sweet finds~

Barbara said...

That's a great box of ornaments! There is a lot of good stuff (and people) in Portland!