Sunday, April 18, 2010

Every Button Tells a Story

Sorry this post is going to be long but I know the rest of you button enthusiasts out there will LOVE seeing these.
For the first time in a very, very long time I was able to score an amazing tin of buttons. I won them on eBay and feel just a tad guilty because the seller's photo was so poor and out of focus that no one bid against me. I could make out one button that looked kind of interesting so I decided to take a chance. I was blown away when they arrived in the mail last week!
Glass rhinestones set in metal and plastic. Love, love, love the giant "jewels"!
Glass buttons, including Moonglow, rhinestones, a paperweight and aurora borealis. This picture really doesn't do them justice!

Celluloid wafers and tite tops, including a couple of glow bubbles.

Fabric, bone, rubber and vegetable ivory, Lucite, etc. Check out the two vegetable ivory whistles near the center. They are in perfect condition. I don't usually go for fabric buttons but these oval ones are some of the best I've seen. A couple of neat cuff buttons, too.
Shell and mother of pearl. Loving those ovals!
These didn't photograph well at all but there are some amazing and very old cut steels in this group of metal buttons.
When you poke through a button box you've got to wonder where each of these buttons came from and how they came to be together in this box. What did the clothes they were cut from look like? Who was the person who carefully saved each one? If only they could talk! Yes, every button tells a story.

1 comment:

Annette said...

I seriously have button envy! Those are gorgeous buttons!!!!