Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Kathy's Play Day

Last Saturday I took a whole day to just play - which means blowing off the housework and just junking.  It was great!  I hit two estate sales, the VOA and Nina and Joe's.
I'm sorry if these pictures are a little garish looking.  I'm having issues with the white balance setting on my camera and trying to figure out where I'm going wrong.
A sweet set of Westmorland candlesticks, a dried corsage and a couple of crochet hot pads to add to my collection.
The candelabra is just pot metal but that doesn't detract a bit in my eyes.  The old cobalt jars are proving more challenging to clean that I expected.  Love love the blue velvet pillows!
Oh my gosh - a little girls vintage blow-up  pink crinoline.  I haven't tired blowing it up but just as pretty, either way.
A very vintage bunt cake pan, a tape measure for my collection and a plastic box I bought just because of the jadeite color.  The blue and white check are pillow cases and they have already been re-purposed on my patio chairs.
I have a collection of those old brass hose nozzles.  Go figure.  I didn't get a good close-up in any of these photos but that iron thing below the candlestick is my THIRD cobbler's shoe anvil.  We all know what that means.
There is the toe of that cobbler's tool again.  A tray of tiny perfume bottles because I can't resist them and a lone Made in Japan duck S&P without its mate.
A "Millie" goat with her kid, grazing on a vintage green hankie and under a cloche, to boot!
Vintage lamps make me weak in the knees.  I haven't decided yet if these will be moving on or just staying with me, at least for a while.
One VERY filthy vintage Brownie camera that I already have a plan for.
This last photo is really awful due to the white balance issue but it is a pair of great white quilted pillow shams that are already listed in my Etsy.
Man, that was a fun day just plucking the junk!

17 comments:

laurie -magpie ethel said...


There is nothing better than devoting a day to junk and turning a blind eye to the waiting tasks at home. Glad the day was good to you.

Into Vintage said...

I have to agree with Ethel -- sometimes browsing (or buying) junk is just plain cathartic. Good for you for giving yourself a day of junk!

Art and Sand said...

That sounds like so much fun to just go thrifting all day.

I love the crocheted piece with the red rose in the center.

Beth Leintz said...

Score! I think you should go junking every chance you get. The housework isnt going any where, and a good junking day is much more memorable than a day cleaning.

Jewels said...

You have the best access to...well...junk! LOL

Melissa said...

Those are my favorite days - just junkin' and nothin' else!

Maureen said...

Awesome finds Kathy! Sounds like a wonderful way to spend the day to me.

Tami Hacker said...

I want to come play with Kathy! What a fun play day you had! I'm thinking about 'playing' today after seeing this post.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

A junkin' play day sounds like heaven to me and you sure made good use of it! I see a lot of wonderful goodies here. I bought a little Brownie like that on my last junking adventure, just couldn't pass it up. You might have some luck with the cobalt jar grime if you soaked them in denture cleaner overnight. Works for me most of the time. Thanks for sharing Kathy.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love those tiny perfume bottles. I have a little saucer full of them. They are only vintage as far as I am! lol They are all bottles I've used and kept! Lots of fun finds!

oldgreymareprimitives said...

You are always having way too much fun :D
no that isn't possible..NEVER too much fun

suziqu's thread works said...

What a huge variety of finds all in one day Kathy. I don't know how you decide what to let go and what to keep!

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

Junkin and playing days are the very best! WOW you really got some really great goodies there!! :) Have a lovely weekend!! xo Holly

Laurie said...

How fun...I have been AVOIDING vintage shopping myself these last couple of weeks if only because I'm trying to clean out my studio (again)! So I enjoy living vicariously through your shopping! I love that green hanky under the cloche (with the little goats!)

vintage grey said...

What a fun play day you had!! Love all your new treasures, and those lamps are pretty!! xo Heather

must love junk said...

Play days are the best!! You got some fun finds (love the camera :)
Susan

CATHY said...

oh my - what a haul! where are you putting everything : ) - love the brownie camera - another great prop.