Thursday, October 10, 2013

Autumn Hydrangeas And Other Unexpected Colors

 The hydrangeas know just what to do when the days get shorter and the morning air is crisp.  The bright blue and lavender slowly grow deeper and take on a dusty hue.
 The colors blend like a watercolor.
 And there are a few holdouts mixed in that haven't heard the news.
 When a hard frost holds off they sometimes reach a deep maroon before they are done for another season.  Every bit as pretty to watch as the turning leaves on the trees!
 And speaking of unexpected colors, here are some unexpected RESULTS.  I am working on outfits for my little steampunk art room companions.  These dresses and bonnet all started out white.  I wanted more of a sepia tone and I had a bottle of tan Rit dye on hand so decided to give it a go.  The little dress and bonnet appeared to be cotton but the bonnet must have been a blend considering how different the colors turned out.  I knew the flower girl dress was a crap shoot since it was clearly nylon, taffeta and various man-made fibers.  I thought it might not take the dye at all but was quite surprised when it turned GREEN.  The satin ribbon on the bottom of the skirt turned bright GOLD.
This photo doesn't show it very well but the lining and ribbon around the waist turned GRAY.  It wasn't what I was hoping for but all three pieces are being altered so I'm rolling with it.
This project has been rattling around in my head for a long time and won't likely get finished all at once but I will keep you posted on the progress.
I hope you are enjoying the colors of autumn!

11 comments:

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Love those beautiful hydrangea's, the colors are so gorgeous. I love how your projects took the dye. The dress must have been a wonderful surprise! Can't wait to see what you do with them. xo

Annette said...

The hydrangeas are gorgeous! I just love the color of the dress. I may have gasped when I saw it!

Gail said...

LOVE this post! Love your hydrangeas, they're a favorite of mine......I also love to dye fabrics, especially when you can't predict what color they'll end up.
I love a good mystery, don't you?

Maggie said...

gorgeous hydrangeas! PLEASE no hard frost for a while!
What a 'happy accident' your dye job turned out to be

oldgreymare said...

oh hydrangeas and peonies I miss you so.. I did have a pair of robins in my yard yesterday. We do not have robins here and so I pretend they are my folks paying me an autumn visit..They know I love robins. <3

Art and Sand said...

My hydrangeas produced very few flowers this year. Those flowers are beautiful.

Love your steampunk dresses.

Andy's Attic said...

Your hydrangeas are lovely. Mine are done for the year. They are one of my favorite flowers. Amazing how different those cloths turned out with one color of dye!! I guess when they say to "test" a part first, they mean it. Keep us posted on your progress.

Curtains in My Tree said...

Hi Kathy
The little dresses did turn out OK for you. I don't understand fully what your doing with them LOL?

My daughter is having a yards sale while I am work today LOL she said she is cleaning out my garage so I will have more room OMG (she text me this after I got to work )!!!!!
I was in a panic at noon my sister stopped by and said don't worry Jan she isn't selling anything of value.for a quarter I'm sure !!!!!!
Now neither one of them like anything vintage OMG so of course it's trash to them
I have a head ache LOL thinking about it
somebody is walking away from my house very happy with my vintage treasures

Curtains in My Tree said...

PS

LOVE the hydrangeas, BEAUTIFUL

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Your hydrangeas are gorgeous, I sure wish I could grow them like that here. Pinning!!
It's so interesting how the different textures took the dye. I really like the results. What could you be doing with them?

vintage grey said...

Gorgeous hydrangeas! I had the petite size in green for my wedding bouquets. They are one of my favorites!! Sweet dresses! Have a great weekend! xo Heather