Thursday, August 22, 2013

What You Can Do With Old T-Shirts Besides Wash The Car

 I finished my other project tonight.  Skirts made from pieced t-shirts have been all over the Internet lately and on my bucket list of things to try.  My version I made from three XL men's t-shirts from the 75% off rack at the VOA.  That made the total fabric cost about $5.  I used an old four-gore skirt pattern I had laying around.  The pattern was too small (there are adult women with 24" waists??) so getting the fit right was a little tricky.  The pattern was not for stretch fabric so I knew it would "grow" a bit as I sewed it together but didn't know how much.  In the end I added a little piece of elastic at the top, just to make sure it wouldn't fall off if I got all rowdy and started leaping around.  Ya, right.
This was my inspiration skirt.  I bought it at the Cracked Pots show I went to back in July.  It was made by Carrena Lukas of Skrappyjoy.  It is so comfortable and I love the way she did the angles.  Something to aspire to!  She also used a serger so the seams are finished much more nicely than mine.  I just set my old workhorse on a narrow zigzag stitch.  It was really easy so I see more of these in my future and will absolutely be checking out those clearance racks for interesting graphics.  If you decide to give it a try, get the biggest shirts you can.
In the meantime, back to photographing and listing.  My workbench is covered again after that mega-pick last weekend!

8 comments:

Art and Sand said...

I don't want to appear to be clueless, but what is the VOA?

oldgreymare said...

very cool- you go girl!

Andy's Attic said...

Love the skirt!! What a great way to recycle and get a cute skirt that is one of a kind!! You did a super job!!! glad you added that elastic for when you get all crazy and jump around.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Where have I been hiding, I haven't seen these yet. I love your version with the black and white t-shirts. Great repurposing project and stylish too!

so many memories said...

That is one cool skirt! I'm glad you made sure it wouldn't fall off when you get all rowdy!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

You are way ahead of me, I have not seen this done, I am still using T shirts for rags lol! I love it and oh I can bet it is so comfortable!

Carol

CATHY said...

You did a GREAT job - I like yours better : ) and glad to hear you will not be losing it when you are dancing on the tables!

vintage grey said...

Love them!! I so need to make some! I love a good skirt!! Hope you are having a great week! xo Heather