Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Rhinestone Rescue

I finally stopped procrastinating and got around to fixing those tiny, vintage sew-on rhinestones I told you about in this post.  Even though I salvaged all of the loose rhinestones that were in the button box, the gold foil was gone from the undersides.  I tried re-gluing a few and they didn't have any sparkle.  For once, I had the sense to realize that wasn't going to work and stopped after I ruined just four of them.
I do replace missing rhinestones from time to time so I have a stash of new ones.  I went through them and sorted out 50+ in the correct size. I used Aleene's Jewelry & Metal Glue.  Oh, my goodness, these are so tiny!  I picked up a tiny bit of glue on the tip of a toothpick then touched it to the glass and then picked up a rhinestone by pressing my fingertip on it hard enough so it stuck for just a couple seconds and pressed it in to the indent.  Eeee!
Once I managed to get them all set I discovered yet another problem.  Aleene's is a Super-Glue formula so it gives off a white "smoke" as it heats up and sets.  That white haze covered the tops and did not clear when it was dry.
I don't know why I am so determined to make it work, but I am.  I Googled around for ideas to remove the white haze and finally landed on trying Goof-Off.  I poured some into a little dish and then used a cotton-swab to scrub each and every one.
Between the Aleene's fumes and the Goof-Off fumes and holding them about 6" from my face, I'm pretty sure I'm brain damaged.  Not to worry, I doubt anyone will be able to tell and the rhinestones are rescued!

8 comments:

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Did you bring out your 30X magnifying glass to help aid in this process? All's well that ends well, right? Now you have a stash of beautiful rhinestones. Great tip on the Goof-Off.

My Vintage Mending said...

I am so glad you did this and not me...I need to repair the multitudes that I have. Good to know what glue I need and how careful I need to be. Smiles...Renee

so many memories said...

You have so much more patience than I do. I don't like working with tiny objects, and if I had even attempted to re-glue the rhinestones, I would have probably given up when there was no sparkle. And you even risked brain damage! You're a brave rescuer!

oldgreymare said...

I just had to laugh because that is something I would have done, OK I HAVE done crazier..but at the time..it seems so normal doesn't it? lol
xx
z

Barbara said...

You are a better person than me. (But didn't you just resolve to stop trying to save everything?) Anyway - I am glad your extraordinary efforts met with success!

laurie -magpie ethel said...

SUCH DETERMINATION! I will just pass any I find to be mended by Super Kathy!

CATHY said...

That is so odd how the glue made a haze on the tops. Great you figured out how to fix it....obviously no brain damages : ) Now you need to create something special for the rescued little guys!

Andy's Attic said...

Oh my!! I would not have tried to do any of that and can't believe you did so much and kept at it!! I used Goof-Off not long ago and thought I was going to die from the fumes. So glad you are OK and finished your project!!!