this post. Even though I salvaged all of the loose rhinestones that were in the button box, the gold foil was gone from the undersides. I tried re-gluing a few and they didn't have any sparkle. For once, I had the sense to realize that wasn't going to work and stopped after I ruined just four of them.
I do replace missing rhinestones from time to time so I have a stash of new ones. I went through them and sorted out 50+ in the correct size. I used Aleene's Jewelry & Metal Glue. Oh, my goodness, these are so tiny! I picked up a tiny bit of glue on the tip of a toothpick then touched it to the glass and then picked up a rhinestone by pressing my fingertip on it hard enough so it stuck for just a couple seconds and pressed it in to the indent. Eeee!
Once I managed to get them all set I discovered yet another problem. Aleene's is a Super-Glue formula so it gives off a white "smoke" as it heats up and sets. That white haze covered the tops and did not clear when it was dry.
I don't know why I am so determined to make it work, but I am. I Googled around for ideas to remove the white haze and finally landed on trying Goof-Off. I poured some into a little dish and then used a cotton-swab to scrub each and every one.
Between the Aleene's fumes and the Goof-Off fumes and holding them about 6" from my face, I'm pretty sure I'm brain damaged. Not to worry, I doubt anyone will be able to tell and the rhinestones are rescued!
All is Calm Christmas Bedroom
4 hours ago