Thursday, June 25, 2009

Art Room

These are the pictures I took of my art room last night. Art Room is the fancy name. Mostly I just call it my Crap Room. But I'm trying to use the fancy name more. Pretend it and it will become, or so they say!

I guess I should have tidied up a little first but honestly, it always looks this messy and for a couple reasons. First and foremost - I LOVE JUNK! I love to look at it, touch it, sort it and shop for it. I don't think there is anything about junk I don't like, except maybe dusting it. So I just don't do that.

Second is I have been working very hard on learning PATIENCE with my artwork. My inclination is to start something and work it to the end before I start something new. I get frustrated waiting for paint to dry and glue to dry and trying to force the next step. My lack of patience has resulted in many failures. Now, I am trying hard to work on more than one thing at a time. That way I can set it aside and move to something else, especially when it needs to steep awhile. I'm still struggling to remember to do it but I get much better results when I do.

I'm not too happy with the way the pictures turned out so you may be seeing a do-over one of these days. Funny thing is, that's how the art works a lot of the time, too. I make something and then have to do it over because, over the course of the process, I think of things I wish I had done differently or get inspiration to take it in a different direction. Do overs!
The oak buffet "workbench" was a big splurge to myself and I love love love it! It is just the perfect height to stand up and work. It has seven drawers and two cupboards and it is sturdy like a ROCK. The veneer was peeling off the upper drawer fronts so I covered them with cheetah paper. Too cool! I agonized over buying it because I'm such a cheapskate but every single time I stand in front of it I am SO grateful I found it. Worth every penny!
This is my desk, where I am sitting right now as I type this. That pink blob in the lower left corner is the back of my chair and behind that is my sewing machine. Obviously every inch used and barely room to turn around in here - but a joyful place to me!

1 comment:

Michelle Murphy said...

love the room..i cleaned mine up the other day and found many treasures..btw did you pay over 50 for the buffet? sometimes even those of us who love to be frugual should splurg