Tuesday, June 21, 2016

A Little Story About Jack and Diane


 Early one Spring morning not too long ago I was sitting on my patio enjoying my coffee before I got ready for the day.  Steam was wafting up from my coffee cup and the birds were just starting to wake up when I saw a flash of wings and a splash in the fishpond.  Naturally, I jumped up and dashed to the pond to see what was going on.  I was delighted to find a nesting pair of Mallard ducks had stopped by for a rest.  I was SO excited in hopes they would decide to stay and I would get to witness the nest and baby ducks!  I named them Jack and Diane, just two American ducks doing the best that they can.
Yes, I did Google to see if they would eat my fish.  Mr. Google said they would not.
 Well, by the time I got home from work that night Jack and Diane had moved on. I went out to feed the fish.  I called them (yes, they come to eat when I call), I dibbled my fingers in the water to get their attention, no fish.  They were gone.
Well.  Evidently they hadn't checked with Mr. Google!
The water quality had been plagued by suspended silt for the last two years so I decided I would just let it evaporate down and take the opportunity to clean up the pond and do a water change.  Making Lemonade. You may recall I abandoned my rubber boots in Pennsylvania so I could fit rolls of vintage wallpaper in my suitcase. I spotted these red boots in my size at The Bins.  Score!  I brought them home and bleached the insides and scrubbed the outsides and got ready for pond cleaning.  Every night I checked the water level to make sure the pump wasn't exposed.

When the pond got down to about a foot deep I spotted the fish.  They were all huddled together, under the water poppies, in one corner.  A hundred fish in about 18 square inches.  Jack and Diane had just scared the jeepers out of them!  I called Husband to come quick.
Him:  I'll get the hose!
Me:  I'll get the food!
This little video is just a few seconds long.  Don't blink or you will miss one of the fish jumping for joy!

12 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I was going to be indignant and claim I had NOT eaten your fish but then you found them! hahaha! Poor things! Sorry I scared them! Enjoy your day. Ducky Diane

Curtains in My Tree said...


I am so glad Jack and Diane didn't eat the baby gold fish haha drama for sure

your fish pond looks so pretty and your bins boots also LOL

I just went to the bins twice in Portland and my kids said never again will they take me there, they just aren't adventurous like us

Marrianna said...

I tried but couldn't see the jumping fish. I'll take your word for it. This is a fantastic story. Good for you. Now, I'll be trying to sing the song, Jack and Diane, all day. Not out loud or I would scare any critters within hearing range. It is a beautiful pond, though. And your red boots are fantastic. Good for you.

laurie -magpie ethel said...

phew! That is a good end to the story...long live the fishies

Lou Anne Hazel said...

Oh, I wish Jack and Diane had the sense to stay in your tranquil pond. I couldn't see the jumping fish but I'm glad they were alive. I loved your story! Thank you.

mary scott said...

What a fun story to wake up to in my emails today! So glad the fishies are fine! thanks

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I'm so happy to hear that Jack and Diane went away hungry. I love stories with happy endings.
Now I'm going to have that song stuck in my head all night.

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

So glad your fish didn't get eaten by Jack and Diane! My mom has a koi fish pond and once and while we see a blue heron circling around checking it out. Thankfully she hasn't lost any to one of those giant birds! Your pond is so pretty, love the rocks and stones along the edges! Those boots are fantastic!....great score! :)
xo Holly

Art and Sand said...

All's well that ends well - your fish are just fine.

Did you by any chance see my recent blog post where I talked about your fun gifts? I also posted them on Instagram. For now they are "cutely" displayed in my little garden house while I decide exactly where to put them.

Celestina Marie said...

A story with a happy ending. Love your pond and those red boots are awesome!
Have a great week ahead. xo

The Polka Dot Closet said...

What a great story! So glad the fish lived happily ever after! Wish Jack and Diane could have stayed too. LOL boots or vintage wallpaper ...Bye bye boots, not even a close call!

Happy 4th of July

Carol

Laurie said...

What a great story! That made me smile!