Sunday, February 23, 2014

How Could I Not With This Provenance?

 I know I am supposed to be sworn off buying doilies but I did it again.  I had to go in to the office yesterday and was feeling a little sorry for myself this morning over no estate sales in my "driving bubble" so decided to check the listings one more time.  Low and behold, I had missed one I figured I could make it to.  This basket of doilies was the lone purchase but it was not a desperation purchase.
 How could I not buy it when it was half price and came with this sweet provenance??  I love this story.  Thank you, Emma and Lily, for sharing this with me!  I will treasure it.
 I don't know if this is the top or the bottom but I adore that it was "luggage" in the day.
 I did not count the pieces but it is brimming with goodness and many lengths of trim pieces, not just doilies.
 How pretty against the background of the antique basket!
 Look closely and you will see this is a sweet little crochet basket.  It is a little flatted so I will stuff it with tissue and maybe a millinery flower for a display piece.
 It is apropos that I would find this today.  I just caught up on my blog reading this morning and saw Laurie and Terri's posts about lace books and was thinking it is time for me to finally start one with all that lace I got from my MIL many months ago.
Well, I have pretty much doubled what she gave me so I really have no excuse now!  Tonight I will rummage around in my fabric drawer and start making a mess!
BTW, I did take one wrong turn and drove about 10 blocks in the wrong direction before I figured out I was going the wrong way but I did not decide driving down a boat ramp in to a river looked like a good idea.  Why do people do that??  TWO MORE DAYS until I can get the new prescription!!

17 comments:

Gail said...

You were obviously meant to own this basket full of beauties, good for you! I'd a snatched it up in a heartbeat!

Connie said...

Hi Kathy, you summed it all up in your title . . . "how could you not?"
We all understand completely :)
These are wonderful.
Have a happy day and keep smiling.
Your blogging sister, Connie :)

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I have boxes of doilies, but I would never have passed that up especially when there was lace trim pieces. I am always surprised that I can go and half price days and find such great treasures......You are excused for sure

Carol

CATHY said...

How on earth could they part with this treasure? Esp when they took so much time to write up the history? What a lovely find kathy!! Yes, you do need to write a book!

Jewels said...

Oh my what a mother lode of lacy goodness - I would do all sorts of things with those - lucky you!

Laurie said...

Oh -- I would have, too! Half price on top of it? Score!

Annette said...

I'm so glad you didn't drive into the river!
I couldn't have passed up on this either. I have been wanting to make a fabric book too, so I can't wait to see what you come up with.

vintage grey said...

Oh, I would have been all over those pretties!! Good for you! xo Heather

The Junque Seeker said...

What a treasure! You were right to snap it up, no matter how many doilies you have already. Have fun with the fabric book!

Celestina Marie said...

Kathy what a treasure. I would have grabbed that up too. Love the old basket too. I say, you can't have too many vintage dollies and lace in your stash.
Lovely pics.
Have a great week.
Hugs

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

What a beautiful assortment of antique lace and the history that came with them. Aren't you glad you took one more look at the listings? Something tells me your driving bubble is about to burst.

Annette said...

I would have taken the basket with nothing in it!! What a perfect treasure for you to find. Of course the junk rulers will forgive your giving in to buy this basket. I checked out the fabric "books". Wow, something I would never have imagined but they are lovely. Anxious to see yours.

Art and Sand said...

Oh, I can't wait to see what you do with all that lace.

What a wonderful find.

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

What beautiful finds!! I would have gotten those quickly too!! :) So many things you can do with them!! :) xo Holly

Maureen said...

Wow! See, it was meant to be (even with your slight veering off the track ;) ). Beautiful lace and awesome basket Kathy!

Susan EvelynAndRose said...

Such great finds! And how nice that they came with the provenance.

Patty Antle said...

Oh, you lucky woman getting all of that lace and those doilies. And the basket is so sweet!!! Loved seeing your finds and I can't wait to see your book you make out of fabric and lace.