Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Just Call Me Poke Sack Kathy

 Last weekend I vowed that I would not buy any more junk until I finished sorting and listing that huge pile of raw junk I told you about in this post.  Well.  I caved in to the siren song of the VOA.  It only took a quick trip and I spotted these three poke sacks and 3 blingy rhinestone broaches.  This time I will try to redeem myself by not leaving you to wonder about the pig pile so here we go...
A few of the carded buttons and sets the sacks yielded.  Can you even believe the brand on those copper buttons??  Oh yes, times have changed and for the better.
 The rhinestone circle is a buckle.  A large plastic with a MOP center.  Two vintage clips and some handmade fabric buttons.
 I have never seen anything quite like these two.  They appear to be hand-beaded over crochet.  The rhinestones are prong-set so I'm not sure how they are attached.  Someone definitely put some work into making them!
 Here are the three rhinestone broaches I bought.  BIG and no missing stones.  The rhinestones in the clear one show some tarnish so it is my favorite.
 These are my favorites from the plastics.  Those gold buttons in the center are interesting.  I think they are supposed to look like gold nuggets.
 This is the back side of the two buttons at the top of the picture.  It is actually more of a frog closure.
 My favorites, the glass buttons, of course!  That little green button is the first glass realistic I have ever found.
 These are extra special.  Not only do they have copper looking sparkle in the glass but they are also whistles!  If you don't know what whistles are, look at the center button.  Whistles have one hole on the front and two on the back.  Love these!
 Okay, if you managed to stick with me all the way to the end then here is my latest thing to wonder about...  Does anyone have an idea what that kind of webbing or those pins are used for??
Now I'm back to sorting and listing that raw junk.  Did I mention I bought 31 vintage sewing patterns?  Good grief.

14 comments:

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

You did it again. Just look at those bags full of treasures. The buttons are beautiful, what a lucky find.
Not too sure about that webbing, but the pins (if they're really rigid) look just like the one I stick into my corked back jewelry display boards to hold necklaces.

laurie -magpie ethel said...

WELL poke sack Kathy, if looks like you earned that title...but WHY would you ever pass a bag like that by?

first thought on the webbing was for a curtain?

Blessed Serendipity said...

Don't you just love going through a big bag like that especially when finding good stuff? How fun.

xo,
Danielle

Blessed Serendipity said...

Don't you just love going through a big bag like that especially when finding good stuff? How fun.

xo,
Danielle

Blessed Serendipity said...

Don't you just love going through a big bag like that especially when finding good stuff? How fun.

xo,
Danielle

vintage grey said...

What pretty bags of treasures!! Love the glass and rhinestone buttons!! Have a great night! xo Heather

The Junque Seeker said...

Great finds, as always! I love the buckle and the frog closure especially. The pins look like some I've seen that are made for upholstery work or to hold slipcovers in place.

Diane said...

Oh my goodness--I'm in love....again!! I can't get the pic to enlarge, but from here they look like floral pins, but I can't tell.
We visited our son in Manhattan during the holiday weekend, and while we were there, I went to a flea market in Brooklyn--so much fun and the prices were very reasonable. I found lots of stuff too--some too big so I couldn't buy it, but I would have if we had a car with us---lots of great vintage stuff there!!!

Andy's Attic said...

Wow, grreat bags, Poke Sack! I rarely find a bag full of many treasures. Usually there will be one or two good things and the rest is junk (literally). I wish we had a VOA on this side of the river.!! :>)

My Vintage Mending said...

I need a napkin to wipe the drool. Some of the most amazing buttons I have seen in a while. I really need to go through my buttons and look for whistles...I love the new title and wouldn't mind borrowing it every now and then. The thrifts have been empty here....smiles...Renee

oldgreymare said...

webbing? pins are floral pins..They are used to attach florals to foam usually.
Kathy scores anew! :D
xx
z

Laurie said...

Drooling over here! I love poke sacks like that! I think the webbing is for draperies; I sold something similar on Etsy recently, here: https://www.etsy.com/transaction/75305922
I can't figure out what the green glass is -- is it a flower, or a frog?

Annette said...

Oh my, those buttons and brooches are gorgeous. I love the sparkle going on! The pins are floral pins for wreaths and such, although When I bought a chair several years ago, it came with the same pins for keeping the arm covers in place.
You did good, Poke Sack Kathy!

DeeDee said...

such lovely treasures.... you know how to find them thats for sure..